Considering or already looking for a lot for your home?
Acquiring the right piece of property to build you dream home can be a daunting task that is time consuming and monotonous. Most people, armed with their Zillow App head to the hills to see what they can find in the land search quest. This usually ends up with heat exhaustion, twisted ankles, mosquito bites, ticks and chiggars. If your lucky, the rattlesnakes will leave you alone.
As things progress, questions will arise…
- Where are the property lines?
- Is this the lot?
- Does the house I want to build fit the lot?
- Is there power to the property? Is it overhead or underground?
- Do I have to drill a well?
- Septic Tank (eeeew… is that even sanitary?)
- I don’t have a signal… Can I get a landline? Do I need one?
- Can I build on the side of a hill? Is that going to cost more?
- Can we maximize that view?!
- Can we block the view of the neighbor’s house?
- Is that a dry creek bed running across this lot?
- Why is this lot so cheap compared to the others?
- What school district is this in?
- What are the county taxes?
- Do I have to pay cash for the lot? Is it better to finance?
- How much will it cost to build on this lot.
That’s just a few of the questions and concerns we’ve heard over the years; but that last one is in bold print, because it really is the bottom line. When you’re looking at purchasing a lot, the evaluation process should focus on one thing. With the budget I have in mind… Can I build the house of my dreams on this property? Secondarily, Can/should I think about adjusting my budget if it checks all the boxes?
If you do decide to brave it alone and do your own homework, here are a few tips…
- Take plenty of water and a few snacks
- Have an idea where the closest place is for a potty break
- Take a first aid kit
- Narrow it down before you go
- Be careful about trapsing through tall grass and wooded areas
- Especially in Texas, respect private property
- If you see anything painted purple turn around. Someone takes their private property seriously and know their rights
- We recommend the Land Glide App at https://app.landglide.com/ to assist in determining (generally) where property lines are located Google Maps can be helpful too.
Download our Lot Evaluation Checklist to make sure you are asking the right questions and making informed decisions OR… Call our design center today to inquire about assistance with your land search. We have licensed real estate agents available to assist you with your land search, make offers, and negotiate a great deal for you… All at a discounted rate!!! Let us do the leg work!
Request our Lot Evaluation Checklist today.
"*" indicates required fields